This aims to produce a visual search of the urban environment. In one of their presentations they have an estimate of how long it would take to acquire images of the US’s entire commercial streetscape:
- “~2.4 million miles of paved road in the U.S.
- We estimate that about ~1% are commercial
- With a high speed camera (~250 fps), we can capture driving at about 10 mph
- It would take approximately 100 days worth of driving time to capture the entire commercial U.S.
- Spread among 20 vehicles and allowing 6 hours of capture time per day, it would require approximately 20 days of acquisition”
However I guess – as ever with Google – worth keeping a close eye on.